Final Blog Post

                                 Technology in Education: Pros and Cons    

        The advanced technology that we have today is relatively new. The purpose of the internet was military protection and communication. “ARPANET” was the first computer network developed in 1969. As outstanding and innovative technology is, it comes with its challenges. Every person has a different relationship with technology. When given a phone, what's the first app you would download? Personally, mine would probably be Instagram or some other social media platform. At the same time, an adult might go to download a news app or a banking app. Technology can be used in so many different ways, and that's what makes it so unique. 

        Technology is a fantastic resource for everyone because it has all the answers at your fingertips. No more having to read a whole book just for one answer or looking through an encyclopedia for a fact; it’s all right there. While in school, students might be quickly posed with a question; my first thought is not to go to the library, check out a book and look for that answer; my first thought is to go on “Google” and look it up. But is that a good thing? Is this information being handed to us? It makes everything so much faster and more reliable because we can see exactly who or what is publishing this information. As a student, I think I see this more than most people. When given an assignment, I look up information on the question or the topic at hand. It is pretty simple to find an article on basically anything you want. 

It’s easy to argue that technology has its cons; most people won’t argue that. Technology has caused a decrease in mental health over the past decade. This could result from constant checking to make sure you’re caught up on everything, body shaming, cyberbullying, and so much more. There was a study done by TIME in regards to the mental health of teens and young adults. One of the study’s authors says, “... there was one change that impacted the lives of young people more than older people, and that was the growth of smartphones and digital media like social media, texting, and gaming”. While it can’t be proven that technology is the root of the decline in mental health and increased suicide, anxiety, and depression, it makes sense.  
          
I usually just post pictures of myself or my friends. This has been a great way to connect with my family and friends that aren’t with me all the time. For example, I had aupairs when I was younger, who live all across the world.  I can stay connected with them through social media, and that has been an enormous blessing. If I had a visitor on my social media platform, I think they would gauge that I live in New York and go to High Point University. I try to keep myself modest on social media with the information I share because even if you are private, this stuff is getting out there. The only personal data I’ve voluntarily given out is the college that I attend. I have never given out my phone number or email; I would give a fake number if I have to. I think social media affects people’s mental health because it is a lot of "perfect pictures.” I am even guilty of that. I would never post an ugly picture of myself because that is what people see when they look at my profile.  I have had my fair share of an unhealthy relationship with technology and social media. But, I think going to college, it has gotten a lot better. I believe that young women are put to this standard because of social media, and it’s just not fair. Social media has become a platform to show your best self and nothing less, making it hard for young girls to realize that these people aren’t perfect like they make it seem. It’s not only comparing ourselves; it’s also the reactions we get when posting. Clemente’s programs state a fact that “43% of teenagers feel bad about themselves if a social media post doesn’t get enough likes or comments, and the same percentage has deleted a post because of it”.  It’s no longer about how happy you look and want to share something with your friends and family; it’s about how your audience will react to it. Sadly, we have to look for other people's approval. 

        Technology is a great thing and has helped so many people and given us many opportunities. But, it goes without saying that some cons come with technology and social media. 

 I think everyone has their standards of an online footprint or an online presence. I guess I have a pretty average online footprint. There is a fair amount of information online about me, whether I like that or not. Anything you post, comment on, and even like is being taken online and is building your footprint. I do not have a personal website except for this blog. I use almost every social media platform. I use Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn daily. The social media platforms you post on so, anything that I have posted previously has been put into my online footprint. 

I think it can make people very self-conscious. I’ve noticed myself scrolling on Instagram comparing myself to other people, which is just not healthy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Email

Privacy, Online & Off Ted Talk Response

Disinformation- EOTO presentations