Disinformation- EOTO presentations

                                                   Why Do People Share Disinformation On Social Media? – Centre for Research  and Evidence on Security Threats

    During one of my classmate's presentation, I learned a lot about the importance of fact-checking the information that we as a society are reading. I always knew what disinformation was but I never really knew where it was coming from. Disinformation has always been a problem, even all the way back to an example used in the presentation, when the Soviet Union attacked the United States government's integrity but saying they are causing the AIDS epidemic. It was explained to me that the Soviet Union was disinforming the public in order to destabilize the government. I am almost disappointed to say that I never really thought about disinformation. I do however think that this is a normal behavior within the growth of social media. 

    When we scroll through social media we learn a lot about what's happening in our communities and across the world. It was interesting for me to listen to this presentation because I felt like it was relatable to my own presentation on "citizen journalism". You really don't know where the information you are reading sources from, which makes it hard to trust. Disinformation is sometimes purposeful and sometimes it's just misinformation. But either way, it's spreading fake news.  

    Another point that I thought was interesting was how politicians use disinformation purposefully in order to make themselves look better. But, within the recent election, I think we saw it with our own eyes. That is why fact-checking is so important and you need to do it yourself to find the unbiased truth and views. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=disinformation&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdvcbAu_jsAhVEwVkKHfU7A9QQ_AUoA3oECBAQBQ&biw=832&bih=710&dpr=2#imgrc=kjB_f55nssrA4M


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Email

Privacy, Online & Off Ted Talk Response